I'm a high school English and History teacher.
I'm a father of four. This lot keep me pretty busy.
I'm an Army Cadet instructor.
And in my spare time...
I originally joined the Townsville Writers and Publishers Centre as a member of the Speculative Fiction group - the Centre’s divergent thinkers. In 2015, I established Emerge, a writing group for secondary school-aged students, and hold workshops during the holidays to enhance their creative writing skills. I became a member of the board later that year and was the Chairman of the writer's centre from 2016-2018 and again from 2020. In 2019 I established an exciting new group, the Townsville Scriptwriters, and work with writers of television, film and theatre scripts, as well as actors and those in the production industry.
But I still make time to write!
I recently finished my first novel, which I would describe as "survival fantasy." Unfortunately, it'll be in editing for a long while yet. In the meantime, the piece I am currently working on is a near-future sci-fi that examines the darker aspects of human nature.
Creative writing is my bread and butter, although I also write articles, reviews, and content pieces from time to time. I've even had a go at game design; I have an adventure board game which is currently in the production phase.
I'm also a strong supporter of indie writers and developers - and I put my money where my mouth is. If you're in the mood for some warm fuzzy feelings, you can check out some good old fashioned philanthropy here.
Finally, I do occasionally take the odd writing contract, here and there. If you're interested, you can find my freelance writing services below. Please note that I do offer generous discounts for schools, indie, and not-for-profit organisations.
Have a great new product that you need reviewed? I can help with:
Movie / game / book reviews
Product / service reviews
Food / restuarant reviews
Current rates: $50 / article (~500 words) or a free copy of the product if appropriate.
Want to run a workshop for your school or organisation? I can assist or facilitate:
Shut up and write sessions
Creative writing workshops
Current rates: $50 / hour
Making a game? I can help with:
Dialogue & Narrative
Story / Plot
Manuals / Instructions
Current rates: $50 / hour or 15c / word
Need a hand writing content for your website, blog, social media, magazine, or newspaper? I can help with:
Magazine & newspaper articles
General content writing
Current rates: $50 / article (~500 words) or 15c / word for general content writing.
Why hire a freelance writer?
There is a common belief that because most of us are literate and fluent, there is no need to serve an apprenticeship if we want to become a successful wordsmith. … That’s what I thought until I tried to write my first novel. I soon learnt that a novel, like a piece of furniture, has its own set of requirements, laws of construction that have to be learnt. Just because I had read plenty of novels didn’t mean I could write one, any more than I could make a chair because I had sat on enough of them.
- Nigel Watts, "Teach Yourself Writing a Novel"
- Contracts will be completed and agreed upon before any work begins. This includes final price, payment schedule, copyright ownership, and deadline. Work will not continue if payment schedule is not adhered to.
- Discounts may apply to schools, not-for-profit organisations, and indie or "mom and pop" organisations.
- All services require a 20% down payment, which will not be refunded if the hirer cancels the project.
- I reserve the right to adjust fees if the scope of the project changes.
- There may be additional costs if it is expected that additional fees will be incurred during the project (EG: travel)
- I will provide two revisions for free; after that, a new agreement must be reached as per changes to scope of the project.
- All opinion pieces (including reviews) will demonstrate my opinion only.